Spiced Duck Sausage
Makes: 10 x 10cm sausages
- 1.5kg boneless duck marylands, skin removed
- 200gpork fat
- 15g salt flakes
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoonchopped tarragon leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 50-100ml apple cider
- Thick sausage casings, cleaned
Caramelised onion and apple chutney (makes 2L)
Add to Shopping List
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1kg red onions, thinly sliced
- 100g brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons grated garlic
- 1kg green apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 250mlcider vinegar
- 500ml orange juice
- 375ml apple cider
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, roasted and ground
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
- ¼ teaspoonground allspice
- ½ teaspoonground ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
MethodPreparation: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cooking: 3 hours
1. For duck sausages; mince duck meat and pork fat. Mix mince with salt, herbs, spices and enough cider to combine. Mix mixture by hand for 15 minutes or until sticky.
2. Feed sausage casings onto the feeder tube of a sausage maker. Feed mixture into machine and fill sausage casing. Tie off ends and twist into sausages about 10cm in length.
3. Fry sausages in a large saucepan or on a barbeque plate over medium heat until golden brown and cooked through.
4. For caramelised onion chutney, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add onions, stir to coat, cover and cook for 15 minutes until onions are soft. Uncover, add brown sugar and cook, stirring frequently until onions are deep brown.
5. Add ginger and garlic and cook for 4 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, bring to the boil, lower heat and simmer for 2-3 hours or until thickened. Remove cinnamon sticks, ladle hot chutney into hot sterilized jars and seal. Once opened, store in the fridge.