Smoked Trout Pie
Add to Shopping List
- 1smoked trout
- 20g butter
- 1 tablespoonolive oil
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 small fennel bulb, fronds reserved, bulb diced
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped dill
- Zest of ½ lime
- Juice of ½ lime
- 3 slices bread
- 40g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Dill and fennel fronds, to serve
MethodPreparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 40 minutes
1. Preheat oven 200°C fan forced.
2. Remove the trout flesh from the bones, reserving the trout bones. Place flesh into a bowl and the bones into a saucepan. Pour over cold water to half-fill the pan, bring to the boil, boil for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat butter and oil in a frying pan over low heat and sauté the capsicum and fennel until soft. Strain the stock into a jug, you should have 300ml of stock. Add the stock to the capsicum and fennel, simmer until it has reduced by half. Add the cream and trout and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the dill, lime zest and juice, cook a further 2 minutes.
4. Process bread to crumbs. Spread onto a tray and bake until crumbs feel dry and just start to colour.
5. Divide the trout mixture between 2 oval 300ml capacity pie dishes (16cm in length). Scatter over the breadcrumbs and parmesan. Cook under a preheated grill for 3-5 minutes until golden. Top with dill and fennel fronds. Serve.