- 200g piece salmon, skin on, trimmed and cut into 2cm x 10cm log
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ cup sesame seeds, toasted
- ½ cup white sugar
- 125ml vinegar
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 200g piece butternut pumpkin, peeled and deseeded
- Liquid nitrogen for freezing
Smoked salmon caseannelloni
- 100g 100g caster sugar
- 100ml white vinegar
- ½ brown onion, thinly sliced
- 1 gold-strength leaf gelatine, softened in cold water
- 150g crème fraiche
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped dill
- 1 slice buffet-cut smoked salmon, cut into an 8x10cm rectangle
- 2-3 bacon rashers
- 2-3 tablespoons malto powder or tapioca powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 baby cucumber
- Pinch salt
Add to Shopping List
- Borage flowers
- Nasturtium leaves, to garnish
- Bonito flakes
- Dill fronds
1. For confit salmon, place salmon, oil, coriander and cumin seeds in a cryovac bag, seal and poach in a water bath at 38°C for 20 minutes. Remove and drain well.
2. Roll in toasted sesame seeds to coat.Shaved Pumpkin
3. For pumpkin, place sugar and vinegar in a saucepan over a medium high heat and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally until sugar has dissolved. Add spices, bring back to the boil and cook for 3-4 minutes to reduce.
4. Place pumpkin and 100ml of pickling liquid in a cryo vac bag. Remove air using a food saver or vacuum machine and heat seal. Drop into a water bath at 80-90°C OR a saucepan of simmering water and poach for 15-20 minutes.
5. Remove pumpkin from bag and drain well.
6. Carefully ease pumpkin into a bowl of liquid nitrogen for 2-3 minutes or until frozen to the core and place on baking paper-lined tray in the freezer until required.Smoked Salmon Cannelloni
7. Place sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan over a low heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolved sugar. Add onions and cook until tender. Add gelatine, stir to dissolve. Add to crème fraiche with dill. Stir to combine, season with salt and ground white pepper to taste. Place in a piping bag and refrigerate until firm.
8. Take a slice of smoked salmon and lay it flat on a piece of cling wrap. Pipe a log of crème fraiche down one long end of the salmon and roll up to form cannelloni. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.Bacon Powder
9. For bacon powder, place bacon in a dehydrator 6 hours and dehydrate. Alternatively place in a preheated oven at 60-70°C overnight until crisp. Allow to cool and crush in a mortar and pestle. Add malto powder and salt and mix with the pestle to combine.
10. Slice baby cucumber on the diagonal, place in a cryovac bag, sprinkle with salt and vacuum seal to remove air. Leave for 10-15 minutes.To garnish
11. To serve, place poached salmon on a serving plate, top with bonito flakes, lay cannelloni next to it and place shaved pumpkin, borage flowers, nasturtium leaves, bacon powder and cucumber.