Roast fillet of beef
- 1kg centre-cut fillet of beef
- 1 tablespoon salt flakes
- ½ tablespoonfreshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 50g butter
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 750g floury potatoes, Nicola, King Edward or Dutch creams left whole
- 50g butter
- 60ml water
- ½ cup strong bakers’ flour (13% protein/gluten)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- Canola oil, for frying
Olive and anchovy vinaigrette
Add to Shopping List
- 1 tomato, blanched, peeled, seeds discarded,
- 2 tablespoons ligurian olives, finely chopped
- 2 white anchovies, finely chopped
- 1-2 teaspoonsflat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon baby capers in brine, drained
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon juice, to taste
MethodRoast fillet of beef:
1. Preheat oven to 210°C fan forced.
2. Trim sinew and most of the fat from the fillet.
3. Using kitchen string truss the fillet leaving a 1cm gap between each tie.
4. Heat a large frying pan on high heat. Season the fillet with salt and pepper.
5. Add the oil to the pan followed by the fillet searing evenly all over until coloured and well sealed.
6. Place the fillet on a tray and roast for 12-15 minutes or until the core temp reaches 41°C.
7. Remove from oven, cover and rest for 15 minutes. Remove string.
8. Heat butter in same frying pan, add rosemary and beef fillet, baste with melted butter, rest for 10 minutes and slice thickly to serve.Pommes Dauphine:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C fan forced.
2. Place potatoes on a baking tray covered with a layer of rock salt and bake for 1-1 ½ hours or until very tender. Allow to cool, push through a drum sieve or a fine sieve and allow to cool completely.
3. Place butter and water in a saucepan, bring to the boil and remove from heat. Sieve flour and salt into the water and whisk until mixture is smooth.
4. Return to the heat and cook for 2-4 minutes or until mixture forms a ball and flour is cooked out.
5. In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs, gradually add contents of saucepan, beating well between each addition.
6. Heat a deep fryer half-filled with oil to 180°C.
7. Beat potato into flour mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon mixture into a large piping bag fitted with a 1cm diameter round nozzle and pipe 1-2cm lengths of mixture into the hot oil, snipping off with kitchen shears as you go. Cook until golden and crisp and drain on paper towel. Season with salt flakes.Olive and anchovy vinaigrette:
1. Place all ingredients in a saucepan and cook over a medium heat to warm through, season with salt and pepper to taste.
Assorted baby salad leaves
Baby radish, thinly sliced
Arrange slices of beef on a serving plate with pommes dauphine, baby salad leaves, micro herbs, radish slices and a drizzle vinaigrette.