Pearl barley, raisin, pine nut and parsley salad
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 750ml vegetable or chicken stock
- ¾ cup raisins
- ½ cup verjuice
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2/3 cup roughly chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons vincotto
- ¼ cupextra virgin olive oil
- 1 largeceleriac, peeled, grated
- 30g butter
- 300ml milk
Caramelised fennel with walnuts and pheasant legs
- 2 bulbs baby fennel, or 1 large bulbs fennel
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 pheasant legs (removed from 2 whole pheasants)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Carrot, orange and burrata salad
- 3 baby orange carrots
- 3 babypurple carrots
- 3 baby white carrots
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 blood orange, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped coriander leaves
- 1 fresh burrata (cream filled mozzarella balls, available at delis)
- Good quality sliced bread, brushed with olive oil and toasted, to serve
Roast pheasant breast with vincotto sauce
Add to Shopping List
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pheasants, legs removed
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup vincotto
- 1L good quality chicken stock, reduced to 500ml
- 30g unsalted butter
MethodPreparation: 50 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour 45 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 190C fan-forced. For pearl barley salad, combine pearl barley and stock in a medium saucepan, bring to a simmer, cover and cook until pearl barley is tender, about 40-45 minutes. Top up with water if the saucepan looks dry. When pearl barley is tender, drain off any excess liquid and allow to cool.
2. Combine raisins and verjuice in a small saucepan, cover, place over medium heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until raisins have plumped up. Leave to cool.
3. Once pearl barley and raisins have cooled, combine in a large bowl with pine nuts, parsley, red wine vinegar, vincotto, olive oil and a generous amount of seasoning. Taste the salad; adjust dressing with extra vinegar or olive oil if needed.
4. For celeriac puree, place celeriac, butter, milk and a pinch of salt in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until butter melts, cover with a lid, reduce heat to low and cook for 20-25 minutes or until celeriac is very tender. Check on the pan occasionally, add a splash of milk if it starts to look dry.
5. Transfer contents of saucepan to an upright bar blender. Blend on the lowest speed at first, once a whirlpool action is achieved increase blender speed to one of the highest. Allow to blend for 1 minute to achieve a very smooth puree. If you don’t have an upright bar blender, a food processor can also be used, although the puree won’t be as smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl and cover with cling wrap to stop a skin forming. The puree can be reheated if needed for serving.
6. For caramelised fennel, cut fennel into wedges, reserving the fronds for serving. Heat a large frying pan over high heat, add vegetable oil, then fennel wedges. Season well with salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until well browned. Transfer to the oven and cook for a further 20 minutes or until fennel has softened.
7. Meanwhile, combine pheasant legs with olive oil, thyme, orange zest, juniper berries and season to taste. Heat a frying pan over high heat, add pheasant skin side down. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Transfer to the oven for a further 8-9 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Remove from pan and allow to rest for 3-4 minutes. Cut drumsticks from thighs, reserve drumsticks for making vincotto sauce below.
8. Arrange fennel in a large serving dish, top with parsley, walnuts, fennel fronds and pheasant thighs.
9. For carrot salad, scrub carrots under running water to remove any dirt. Use a paring knife to clean up carrots. Remove stem, leaving about ½ cm on each carrot. Dry carrots well. Combine with vegetable oil, cumin seeds in a large bowl and season well. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until carrots are golden brown and tender when pierced with a knife.
10. Allow carrots to cool enough to handle, then combine with all other ingredients other than burrata and bread. Season. Arrange in a serving dish, snugly arrange burrata between the ingredients. Serve with toasted bread.
11. For roast pheasant, heat a large frying pan over high heat. Add the oil. Season pheasants, then place breast-side down into pans. Cook for 4-5 minutes, rotating to ensure even cooking, until the breasts are browned evenly. Turn breast-side up, transfer to oven for 12-14 minutes or until juice runs clear. Remove from pan and allow to rest.
12. Deglaze pan with lemon juice and vincotto. Transfer pan back over heat, add pheasant drumsticks from pheasant leg recipe above. Cook briefly before adding reduced chicken stock. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, whisk in butter to serve.
13. Carve pheasant breasts from bone and serve with the vincotto sauce.