1. Combine butter, vanilla, sugar, eggs, flour
and milk in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 3-4 minutes until
mixture is smooth and pale in colour.
2. Spoon mixture into decorative cupcake cases and press a frozen raspberry in
the centre of each with the tip of a skewer.
3. Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Remove from
pans and cool completely on a cake rack before decorating.
4. Spread cupcakes with Butter Cream Icing and sprinkle with dried edible rose
petals and pistachios, if desired.
Butter Cream Icing:
1. Beat butter in an electric mixer for 10-15 minutes until creamy and very
pale in colour.
2. Beat in half the icing sugar for 2 minutes until well incorporated. Add milk
and beat for a further 2 minutes, then beat in remaining icing sugar for a
further 2 minutes. The icing should be fluffy and smooth.
3. Lightly tint icing with a skewer which has been dipped in a little food
colouring, swirl through icing before beating in well.
Notes: These light vanilla cupcakes are a great alternative to a traditional birthday cake. Have all cupcake ingredients at room temperature (including milk) before beating to guarantee a light and fluffy end result. Try adding a teaspoon rosewater to cupcake mixture before cooking, for a more intense rose flavour.