- 6 large Free Range Egg Whites
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1¾ cupsCaster Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cornflour
- 200 g block Dark (preferably 70% Cocoa) Cooking Chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups Thickened Cream
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Add to Shopping List
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Caster Sugar
- 2 tbspLime Zest
- 2 tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
- 4 Mangoes, peeled, pitted, cut into 1.5-cm dice
1. Preheat oven to 135°C or 115°C fan. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
2. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites, salt, cream of tartar and vanilla on medium-high speed for about 2-3 mins, or until medium peaks form. While mixer is still running, slowly add the sugar and continue beating for about 5-7 mins, or until firm peaks form. Sift the cornflour into the meringue and beat for 30 secs.
3. Using a large spoon, form 4 large even mounds on each baking tray. Use the back of a spoon to make an indent in the centre of each. Bake the pavlovas for about 1 hr, or until they are crisp on the outside. Turn off the oven, leave the door ajar and leave pavlovas in the oven until cold.
4. Place chocolate in a medium bowl, then sit it over a medium saucepan of simmering water, and stir the chocolate until it melts. Gently dip the bases of the pavlovas into the warm melted chocolate, using a gentle twisting action, and place the pavlovas upside down on racks or trays. Set aside for 2 hrs, or until the chocolate has set (time will depend on the temperature of your kitchen). Do not refrigerate.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the lime syrup. Combine the water, sugar, lime zest and juice in a small heavy-based saucepan and bring to a simmer over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Simmer for 4 mins, or until syrup is reduced by half and thickens. Cool, then cover and refrigerate until cold. Add the mangoes.
6. In a large bowl, whip the cream and vanilla until thick. Arrange a pavlova on each of 8 plates. Spoon over a generous dollop of whipped cream. Using a slotted spoon, remove the diced mango from the syrup and spoon it over and around the pavlovas. Drizzle with syrup and serve immediately.
Notes: Additional Prep Time: + 120 minutes setting