Mushroom Soup with Porcini Croutons
- 125g butter, cubed
- 1 brown onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 600gbutton mushrooms, finely sliced
- 4 parsley stalks
- 1L chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
Add to Shopping List
- White crusty bread, crusts removed, torn into small pieces
- 50g butter
- 12 dried porcini mushrooms, finely grated to a dust
- Crème fraiche, to serve
- Parsley leaves, to serve
MethodPreparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 35 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 190°C.
2. Melt butter in a large frying pan, add onions and garlic and cook without colouring for 10 minutes or until softened.
3. Add mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes, add parsley stalks and stock, bring to a simmer and reduce by about half.
4. For porcini croutons, place torn bread on a baking tray and bake for eight minutes or until crisp.
5. Melt butter in a small saucepan, add porcini dust and swirl to combine. Pour over croutons and toss to combine.
6. Cover a baking tray with paper towels, spread croutons evenly and bake for four minutes to crisp up.
7. Pour mushroom mixture into a blender and blend until smooth, add sherry, season with salt.
8. To serve, ladle soup into a warmed bowl, top with croutons, a quenelle of crème fraiche and a parsley leaf.