Preparation: 25 minutes
Cooking: 25 minutes
1. Heat oil in a deep fryer to 220°C fan forced.
2. For batter, place flour in a large bowl, make a well in the centre, gradually pour in water and whisk until just combined but still a little lumpy. Don’t over mix. Rest for 10 minutes.
3. Dip drained lychees into batter and using a wire spider, or slotted kitchen spoon, place carefully into hot oil and deep fry until golden. Drain on paper towel. Insert a chopstick or skewer into lychees and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
4. For caramel, pour sugar and water into a frying pan over medium heat and shake to loosen sugar. Shake pan until sugar has dissolved, then increase to high heat until caramel turns golden. Remove from heat.
5. Ladle caramel over battered lychees. Sprinkle with lime zest and toasted sesame. Place onto a tray and keep separate until cool.