Herbed Goats Cheese and Beetroot Salad
- 5 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup verjuice
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ beetroot, peeled and finely sliced into rounds
- 1 red radish, finely sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted, roughly chopped
- 2 figs, quartered
- ½pear, sliced into batons
Add to Shopping List
- ¼ cup soft goats cheese
- ½ tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon dill, finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon mint, finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon oregano, finely chopped
- 1 large medjool date, stone removed, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- To serve, small handful micro herbs and toasted bread
MethodPreparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 55 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. For vinaigrette, place the tomatoes and garlic in a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until softened. Cool slightly, place a muslin cloth in a sieve over a bowl, place the tomatoes and garlic into the muslin and extract as much juice as possible. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, add the salt and continue to whisk while adding the verjuice. Set aside.
3. For salad, bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil, add the beetroot slices and reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. Prepare the radish, walnuts and figs, cut the pear just before serving.
4. For herbed cheese, combine the goat’s cheese, parsley, dill, mint, oregano and dates in a bowl, stir through the olive oil. Set aside in the fridge.
5. To serve, place the beetroot on a serving plate, top with the radish, walnuts, figs and pears. Spoon a quenelle of the cheese in the centre and scatter the micro herbs. Pour the vinaigrette into a jug and serve to the side with the toasted bread.