Red Pepper Terrine
- 15 red peppers (red capsicum)
- 500ml tomato tea
- 15 sheets gelatine, softened in cold water
Cucumber Ice Cream
- 700g Greek yogurt
- 200g cucumber juice
- 130g maltodextrin
- 7g stabilizer (mixture of guar gum and iota carrageenan)
- 5g vodka
- 20ml olive oil
- 35g eschalots, chopped
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- ½ dried bay leaf
- 1 clove
- ¼ cinnamon quill
- 100g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 75ml red wine vinegar
- 90g caster sugar
- 100g pure cream
- 35g feta, crumbled
- 35g goat’s curd
- 1 leaf gold strength gelatine, softened in cold water
- 100ml pure cream extra, whipped to soft peaks
Green olive gel
- 250ml Sicilian green olive brine
- 2g agar agar
- 50g Sicilian green olives, pips removed
Basil Marinated Tomatoes
- 500ml vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 12-15 baby yellow and red cherry tomatoes, cut a cross in the end of each
- 45gcaster sugar
- 70g water
- 10ml banyuls vinegar
- 20ml extra virgin olive oil
- 15g basil leaves, roughly torn
- 200g pitted black picholine olives
- 65g caster sugar
- 30g plain flour
- 35g ground almonds
- 300g egg white
Brioche and Tomato Jam Sandwich
- 1 egg
- Pinch sea salt flakes
- 1 tablespoon finely grated haloumi cheese
- 1 brioche loaf, sliced into 1.5cm slices
- 1-2 tablespoons tomato jam
- Butter, for frying
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 20ml extra virgin olive oil
- White pepper, to taste
- 1 baby cucumber, peeled and deseeded
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Add to Shopping List
- 1 baby cucumber, cut to serve
- Tomato powder, to dust
- 1 sundried olive, torn
- Fresh oregano flowers
MethodRed Pepper Terrine
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease and carefully line a deep terrine mold with cling film allowing for excess to hang over all sides.
2. Rub peppers with oil and place on a roasting tray. Roast until softened and well blistered. Place in a large bowl and cover with cling wrap to sweat. Peel skins and discard seeds and membrane. Place pieces between sheets of paper towel or clean cloth to remove excess moisture. Cut to desired size.
3. Pour tea into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Squeeze excess water from gelatine. Drop into tea, stir to dissolve and adjust seasoning to taste.
4. To assemble, dip pieces of pepper into tomato tea jelly and arrange in layers in the terrine mold. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of jelly between each layer and repeat until the mold is full. Cover with excess cling wrap, lightly press and place a heavy weight on top. Transfer to the fridge and chill until set and firm for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
5. Pour remaining tomato tea jelly into a plastic container and refrigerate until set.Cucumber Ice Cream
1. Place all ingredients in a thermomix and blend until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve. Pour into a pre-chilled ice cream machine and churn according to directions.Tomato Jam
1. Heat oil in a saucepan over a medium high heat, add eschalots and sweat until translucent. Add garlic, bay, clove and cinnamon and cook for 1 minute.
2. Add tomatoes, vinegar and sugar, stir until sugar has dissolved and cook down until thick, glossy and liquid has reduced.
3. Remove spices and adjust seasoning to taste.Feta Cream
1. Combine cream, feta and goat’s curd in a saucepan placed over a medium heat and bring to a simmer.
2. Squeeze excess water out of gelatine and add to warm cream, stirring until dissolved. Pour into a bowl placed over a bowl of iced water and stir until chilled.
3. Fold through whipped cream and chill mixture until thick.
4. Spoon into a piping bag. Refrigerate until needed.Green Olive Gel
1. Place brine and agar agar in a saucepan and cook over a medium heat until agar is dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 6-8 minutes or until agar is very thick. Pour into a shallow tray and leave to set.
2. Spoon set jelly into a thermomix along with olive meat and process to a fine puree. Pass through a fine drum sieve, spoon into a piping bag and refrigerate until required.Basil Marinated Tomatoes
1. Heat oil to 200°C in a small saucepan. Carefully lower in tomatoes using a slotted spoon; deep fry for 10 seconds. Remove and drain well. When slightly cooled, peel skins.
2. Combine sugar and water in a saucepan over a medium high heat and stir until dissolved. Bring to the boil, add vinegar, pinch of salt, oil, basil leaves and tomatoes. Transfer to a bowl and set to one side.Olive Sponge
1. Cut small holes in the bottom and sides of 6-8 paper cups with a small sharp knife.
2. Place olives into a food processor and blend until smooth. Add sugar, flour and almonds and process to combine. While processing, add egg white and process for 2 minutes. Pass through a fine chinoise.
3. Pour mixture into a small iSi gun, seal and charge with 3 x NO2 chargers. Shake vigorously after each charge and leave mixture to rest for 10 minutes.
4. Discharge mixture into prepared cups to 1/3 full. The holes allow air intake/release and microwave on high for 30-40 seconds. DO NOT open microwave, allow to stand in the microwave for 60 seconds. Remove and stand to cool. Tear sponge into irregular pieces.Brioche and Tomato Jam Sandwich
1. Whisk egg and salt in a bowl, add cheese and stir to combine.
2. Heat a small frying pan over a medium heat.
3. Cut crusts from brioche and cut into two 4cmx4xm squares. Spread the two pieces of brioche with tomato jam. Sandwich together and dip in haloumi egg wash.
4. When ready to serve, melt some butter in the hot frying pan, add dipped sandwich and pan fry on each side until golden. Cut to desired size.Oregano Vinaigrette
1. Place all ingredients in a jug and whisk to combine.Cucumber Spaghetti
1. Very finely julienne cucumber, dress with oil and season with salt and pepper.To serve
1. To serve, invert terrine onto a chopping board. Remove cling film and cut into 1cm-thick slices, drizzle with olive oil.
2. Arrange cucumber and tomatoes on plate. Pipe small dots of feta cream and green olive gel.
3. Tear pieces of olive sponge and sundried olive and arrange on plate. Scatter with oregano flowers. Add tomato jelly pieces and pinches of tomato powder
4. Twist a pinch of cucumber spaghetti onto plate. Halve the sandwich and place half on plate with a teaspoon quenelle of cucumber ice cream.