Chicken and Chorizo Paella
Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 45 min
Add to Shopping List
- 4 cups Water
- 1 Small pinch Masterfoods Saffron Threads
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Chicken Drumsticks, from the deli
- 2 Chicken Wings, from the deli
- 1/2 Chorizo, cut into thin strips, from the deli
- 1/2 medium Brown Onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium Red Capsicum, cut into julienne strips
- 3 clovesGarlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tspMasterfoods Smoked Paprika
- 2 cupsColes Brand Medium Grain Rice
- 1 Truss Tomato, seeded and cut into small dice
- 1 Spring Onion, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 200˚C (180˚C fan forced).
2. In large saucepan, heat water, turn off heat and add saffron.
3. Place large frying pan or paella pan over high heat and add oil. Once oil is hot, add chicken and brown on all sides, for about 5 minutes. Remove chicken from pan, reduce heat to medium high and return pan to the heat.
4. Add the chorizo and cook for 2 minutes, or until browned. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the onion, capsicum, garlic and smoked paprika for 3 minutes, or until softened.
5. Stir in the rice and cook for about 2 minutes or until pan is dry and rice is coated with oil.
6. Add warmed saffron water to the pan and stir to evenly combine. Add the chicken back to the pan, arranging in a single layer, evenly spaced and bring to a simmer over high heat.
7. Once pan comes to a full simmer, remove from heat, sprinkle with tomato and season with salt and pepper. Place in oven and cook, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until the rice is tender and chicken is cooked through. A sign of a good paella is crisp rice around the sides of the pan.
8. Stand for a few minutes before serving. Garnish with spring onion. For more great Coles Recipes click here.