Burnt caramel panna cotta with sugar and spice dusted pain perdu and brioche shards
- 750ml thickened cream
- 300ml milk
- 250g caster sugar
- 5 gold strength gelatine leaves, soaked in cold water
Sugar and spice mix
- 200gcaster sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons ground nutmeg
- 1 loaf brioche
- 300ml thickened cream
- 100ml milk
- 3 eggs
- Olive oil
- 100g brioche, crusts removed
- 20g caster sugar
Add to Shopping List
- 50g crème fraiche
- 50g sugar and spice (see recipe above)
- Raspberries, to serve
MethodPreparation: 30 minutes, plus setting time
Cooking: 45 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. For panna cotta, heat cream and milk in a medium saucepan to a simmer. Sprinkle about one-third of the sugar into a separate saucepan, cook over medium heat until the sugar melts. Add the remaining sugar in two batches, allowing it to melt each time. Increase heat and cook until dark golden brown. Add warm milk mixture to the caramel and stir until caramel dissolves. Squeeze excess water from gelatine leaves and stir into the caramel until dissolved. Strain into a bowl and cool over ice. Pour into glasses, refrigerate to set.
3. For the sugar and spice mix, combine all the ingredients together.
4. For pain perdu, cut brioche into 2.5cm slices, use a 5cm cookie cutter to cut rounds from the brioche. Mix cream, milk and eggs together. Soak brioche in egg mixture for a few minutes. Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan on low heat, remove the brioche and cook 3 minutes each side or until golden brown. Sprinkle a little sugar and spice mix over the cooked pain perdu.
5. For brioche shards, thinly slice brioche, use a rolling pin to flatten the bread to 2mm. Dust both sides with caster sugar and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 4-5 minutes until golden. Set aside to cool then cut into shards.
6. For crème fraiche, mix all the ingredients together. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
7. To serve, Place panna cotta to one side of serving plate. Arrange the pain perdu in a row down the centre of the plate, top each with a dollop crème fraiche, then insert the brioche shards into crème fraiche mixture. Scatter over the raspberries and sprinkle a little sugar and spice mix.