- 1kg whole chicken
- Seas-salt flakes
- 2 teaspoonsthyme leaves
- olive oil
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Seasoned flour, for dusting
- Clarified butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eschalots, peeled, sliced
- 300g pine mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves black garlic (or roasted garlic)
- 1 large desiree potato, peeled, cut into a 2-3cm cylinder with a cookie cutter, then thinly sliced on a mandolin
- Clarified butter
- 1 tablespoonolive oil
- 4 small onions, peeled and halved
- 4 baby turnips
- 4 baby carrots, peeled and sliced lengthways on mandolin
- 1 sprig thyme, leaves removed
Add to Shopping List
- Black truffle, finely grated
- Gold leaf
- Garlic flowers
1. To prepare the chicken, remove neck, remove legs and debone, remove wings leaving first joint attached to crown.
2. For ballotine, place boned leg, skin-side down on a piece of cling wrap, season with salt flakes and roll up into a cylinder, tie off ends, place in a vacuum seal bag and poach at 68°C for 30 minutes.
3. To roast chicken on the crown, preheat oven to 180°C fan forced. Season chicken crown with salt and half the thyme leaves. Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium to high heat and brown all over. Transfer to oven and roast for 8-15 minutes or until juices run clear when a skewer inserted into the centre come our clear. Loosely cover and set aside to rest.
4. For winglet, remove wing tips from reserved wings, remove one of the bones from each wing and push flesh towards one end, creating tiny drumsticks.
5. For the mushroom puree, heat oil and butter in a fry pan over medium heat. Add eschalots, mushrooms and garlic and cook until soft. Drain excess liquid and process until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
6. For galette, spread potato slices onto paper towel, sprinkle with salt and pat dry. Layer slices over each other into a small circle and repeat so you have a double layer. Heat a little clarified butter in a small frying pan over medium heat, transfer galette to the pan, spooning over the butter occasionally, until golden, turn over and repeat until golden both sides. Turn the galette onto a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
7. Pan fry baby vegetables with oil and thyme until golden.
8. Preheat a deep fryer to 180°C. Dust chicken neck in seasoned flour and deep fry chicken neck until golden.
9. To serve, unwrap ballotine, pat dry, fry in clarified butter with remaining thyme and salt for 2-3 minutes. Fry winglet in same pan as ballotine for 1-2 minutes. Slice ballotine in half, roll one half in shaved truffle and the other half in a sheet of gold leaf. Serve ballotine with winglet, deep fried neck, baby vegetables, pomme galette and mushroom puree.