Barilla has been making pasta a family tradition since 1877.
Our first store, a small pasta shop with an adjoining bakery, was opened in Parma by Pietro Barilla Senior in 1877. Having been apprenticed as a baker for many years he had built a strong foundation for the business. Run as a local family business for many years, Pietro’s sons Riccardo and Gualtiero took the rein in 1901 and moved Barilla into the industrial age.
Over the coming years they employed another 80 people and eventually grew to produce 80 tonnes of pasta per day. New technologies and a focused brand allowed the company to thrive beyond the two World Wars.
In 1947, Riccardo passed away and his sons Pietro and Gianni took over the business; Pietro focusing on marketing, advertising and public relations and Gianni, the factories, supplies and production. Through their dedication to quality and flavor over the next 20 years the company grew to a 1.5million square metre factory in Pedrignano.
In 1993 Pietro passed away suddenly, handing over running the business to his sons who have worked to grow the brand internationally. In 2002 they celebrated 125 years of family heritage and in 2009 opened the largest in-house mill in the industry – completing the loop from field to table.
The company has continued to stay true to its Italian heritage and passion for family tradition founded by Pietro Barilla Senior in 1877: a heritage that will be continued in 2012 and beyond.